Luckyday Mentor Application
Please fill out this application if you are interested in serving as a 2023-2024 Luckyday Residence Hall Mentor. Your application must be submitted by February 13, 2023, at 11:59 p.m. The reference form needs to be completed by an RA or a mentor in the building. References are due by Sunday, February 19, 2023 and it is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure the reference forms are completed. Applicants can check in the GO System to see if the references have been completed. If the reference section says “submitted” with the recommender’s name, then that indicates the form has been completed and submitted into the GO System.
The position of a Residence Hall Mentor in the Luckyday Scholars Program will require committed, open, and motivated scholars to serve as support for freshmen in the hall; encourage students in their academic endeavors; strive to be an example of a servant-leader; encourage students to contribute positively to the Luckyday Program; and to be a strong support of The University of Southern Mississippi. Mentors must be willing to commit to one full academic year in this position.
- Be in good standing with The University of Southern Mississippi and the Luckyday Scholars Program.
- Maintain a 3.5 cumulative GPA
- Strive to be an example of a servant-leader in daily life
- Serve as an “in-house” resource guide of the campus for freshmen by keeping up-to-date with the events and services offered on campus
- Enthusiastically participate and assist with Luckyday Preview, welcome events, and other events as needed
- Participate and encourage mentees to be involved in Luckyday programming
- Live with a roommate in Luckyday Hall and maintain a healthy rooming relationship
- Luckyday Scholars Program
- Supplemental Questions
- Why do you want to be a mentor? What inspires you to apply for this position?
- How would you promote community on your floor and build meaningful relationships?
- What will be your main commitments next year, whether they be with campus organizations, working, or dealing with family matters? How do you plan to prioritize being a mentor while fulfilling all of your other commitments?
- What are your top 5 CliftonStrengths? How would use your top 5 strengths in your role as a mentor working with freshmen as well as interacting with the team of mentors?
- Which characteristics of servant leadership do you see as important to being a mentor?
- Describe a situation in which you encountered conflict. How did you respond to the situation and deal with the conflict?
- Our mentors begin the year by participating in training sessions, have weekly meetings during the semester, and have other workshops throughout the year. When considering the intentional and complex role of a mentor, what are skills you hope to gain and topics you hope to learn more about for you to be the most effective mentor you can be?
- Mentor training will take place May 12-15 and August 9-18. Do you have any conflicts that would interfere with these training dates? If yes, please explain.
- If given the opportunity to move to the interview round, do you have any conflict with attending an interview on March 3? If so, please state your reason. There will be multiple interview times to choose from during this day.
- If you are not selected for the mentor position, would you be interested in being a Residential Scholar?
- Reference Form from Luckyday Mentor or Resident Assistant
- Show 6 more